Monday, March 9, 2009

Monogamy

Monogamy. For me, this is a really confusing and frustrating topic, especially when it inevitably comes up in my intimate relationships. It seems that women who are not interested in monogamy are a minority, whether gay or straight.
Simply put, I cannot imagine having sex with one person for the rest of my life, and I cannot imagine a partner doing that either, it just seems very unrealistic and frankly a bit boring and restrictive. In my mind, it somehow breaks the untamed and wild sprit of the person that attracted you to begin with.
I wonder, do most people REALLY want to be monogamous. or do they just act that way out of insecurity, fear, or societal expectations? I also wonder if it would even be possible for a couple, especially two women, to have a degree of openess in their relationship that would not be ultimately catastrophic.

1 comment:

Aimee Mulligan said...

I think if you can separate love and sex, which most people can't. I think most of the time there are other feelings that lead women to desire to have sex with another person. I think most of us end up falling for the other person and losing part of the love we had with our original partner.